In December last year, my lovely girlfriend Denise discovered an offer by Air Asia aptly named “The ASEAN Pass”.
This is how it works:
- You buy an ASEAN pass (for around 500 MYR) which gives you 10 credits
- Book as many flights as you want within a 30 day period of travel
- Pay for taxes and baggage
Here’s an example of the flights you can get:
|Kuala Lumpur to Chiang Mai||3 credits|
|Manilla to Kuala Lumpur||3 credits|
|Bali to Bangkok||3 credits|
|Singapore to Bali||3 credits|
|Bali to Kuala Lumpur||3 credits|
|Bangkok to Chiang Mai||1 credit|
|Bangkok <->Ho Chi Minh||1 credit|
|Bangkok to Penang||1 credit|
|Penang to Kuala Lumpur||1 credit|
For us, I think it was definitely cheaper than buying four separate flights.
Let me break it down.
|Booking date||Origin||Destination||Credit used||Total paid||In AUD||In USD|
|1/27/2016||Bangkok||Chiang Mai||1||137.10 THB||$5.37||$3.85|
|12/21/2015||Bali||Kuala Lumpur||3||200000.00 IDR||$20.95||$15.02|
Including the $185 AUD for the pass itself, the total we spent for the four flights was only:
(or just under $200 USD)
It wasn’t all good, however. The booking system for the ASEAN pass is quite probably THE WORST WEBSITE IN THE WORLD!
- The booking website only allows you to book one flight per pass at a time. This can get quite frustrating as you repeat the process for each individual person in your group.
- The currency is constantly changing and you have to pay for taxes and baggage in two separate payment systems
- The website constantly forgets your previously entered data and errors are common.
Booking flights through Air Asia’s ASEAN pass was an absolute pain in the arse but it is cheap. If you’re planning on moving around Asia quite a bit in a short period of time, I would likely recommend this pass. Just make sure you’re patient when you start to book flights.
Until next time,
Like what you’ve just read?
Click here to sign up to the mailing list and get my latest content delivered direct to your inbox, weekly tips as well as my 4-step guide to location independence!